• Call us: 705-945-5400 | 1-800-123-4567
  • 90 Ontario Avenue | Sault Ste. Marie | P6B 6G7

CO Leak at St. Paul

At approximately 2:30 this afternoon school administration at St. Paul Catholic Elementary School in Sault Ste. Marie became aware of a minor carbon monoxide leak in the gymnasium area of the school.  

By 2:45 p.m., Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services had been deployed to investigate the leak.  The peak level that was discovered at that time was 19 parts per million, which is considered very low.

As a precaution, we want to inform all families of this leak.  If your child attended school today at St. Paul and experiences flu-like symptoms, such as nausea, headache, and/or vomiting, either this evening or tomorrow, we recommend that you seek immediate medical attention.

The cause of the carbon monoxide leak was determined to be one of the rooftop heaters that serves the gymnasium.  This heater was disabled and locked out by approximately 3:30 p.m. today.

Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services has reported that all levels of carbon monoxide throughout the building have now been restored to zero.

Until the heating issue has been resolved, there will only be partial heat in the gymnasium.  Heat will be fully available in all areas, other than the gym, and school will be in session tomorrow for all students and staff.

The board would like to thank Sault Ste. Marie Fire Services for their rapid response.