• 705-945-5400 | 1-800-267-0754
  • 90 Ontario Ave. Sault Ste. Marie ON P6B 6G7

Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board

Preparing for the 2021-22 School Year

March 31, 2021

Dear Parents / Guardians:

As indicated in my letter sent to you earlier this month, the Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board is in the process of planning for the next school year. We want to ensure that all necessary supports and resources are in place for your child(ren) and are asking for your assistance.

Although it is difficult to predict what direction the pandemic will take between now and September 2021, we must make the best plans we can, based on the data we currently have about the virus and the projected availability of vaccines. We are proceeding on the assumption that COVID-19 will still be a reality in the fall. The Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board will offer in-person instruction in all physical elementary and secondary schools in the 2021-22 school year.

Additionally, the board is seeking your input to help determine the extent to which elementary and secondary virtual learning will be offered next year. Should there be sufficient student enrolment to warrant both an elementary and secondary virtual school, please note that elementary students will have one opportunity to transition between brick-and-mortar and virtual schools in 2021-22; this will occur in early February 2022. Secondary students will have the option of transitioning between modalities at the end of each quadmester.

Over the next several months, our board will be creating classroom arrangements and assigning teachers, administrators, and support staff to schools, based on where families have indicated they wish to send their children. In an effort to make this process as simple as possible, the board will assume that, in the fall, families will opt to send their children to the same schools their children are attending in May / June 2021. This assumption will not apply to students who are graduating from Grade 8 or Grade 12.

If it is not your wish to enrol your child(ren) in the schools they will be attending in May / June 2021, kindly contact the principal of that school by no later than 4:00 p.m. on Wednesday, April 21, 2021. We recognize that it may be difficult for your family to make a decision about next year when health circumstances continue to change rapidly and often. However, it is crucial that our board continue planning for next year so that all can be in place to welcome students to their chosen schools in September.

Thank you, as always, for your continued cooperation and support. We wish all of you a blessed Holy Week and Easter, and encourage everyone to continue adhering to public health measures, particularly those related to travel and social gatherings.

Your ongoing diligence, commitment to the common good, and prayers for everyone’s protection are greatly appreciated.

Nurturing hope,

Rose Burton Spohn, Director of Education