Michael Doan Jr. was a five-sport athlete at St Mary’s College from 2005 to 2009. His amazing work ethic in sports and academics helped him achieve multiple accolades including two OFSSA Championships, St. Mary’s College Athlete of the Year (2009) and the prestigious Walter Lowe Trophy as the most outstanding male athlete in Sault Ste. Marie (2009).
Michael chose hockey as his athletic avenue allowing him to obtain a NCAA Division I Hockey Scholarship at Northern Michigan University and then to play one season of professional hockey in the United States before his life was cut short in 2017.
As a young man with a “sky’s the limit attitude” he would hope that all students would follow their hearts to obtain athletic and academic success throughout their life.
To honour Michael’s memory, character, talents and commitment this bursary will be rewarded to one successful STUDENT/ATHLETE who:
- are graduating from St. Mary’s College by the end of this school year
- have been accepted and will attend a post-secondary program at a recognized institution(successful candidates will require tuition receipts and schedules to accept)
- have strong academic standing and have achieved in relation to their potential
- participated in or on at least one or more varsity sports or teams at SMC
- have proven leadership skills in the classroom, on the field of play and in the SMC community
- have a presence outside of SMC through service to the community.
The “Michael Doan Bursary Committee” will review all applications and reward the successful candidate a bursary of $2000.
All applications should be submitted directly to Mr. Flammia (firstname.lastname@example.org ) and clearly marked “Michael Doan Memorial Bursary”. The deadline for submission is May 14th, 2021.
All application packages must include:
- Resume, including cover letter
- Reference letter – Teacher (academic strengths / behaviour)
- Reference letter – St. Mary’s coach (character / leadership qualities)
- Acceptance letter and tuition receipt for for a post-secondary program (can be forwarded once decided upon and paid)
Please note: Once an application has been submitted you are consenting that your Official Transcript and Credit Counselling Summary be made available to the selection committee. (Please notify student services to have these prepared on your behalf). All applications must also include a video submission:
Each candidate will be required to send in a visual/digital resume highlighting the following qualities and examples of:
- the importance of academics and your future career aspirations
- your post-secondary program and why you chose this line of study
- your experience and teams/program you participated in at SMC
- how SMC athletics has influenced you as a person
- reasons why or how you have made a difference in the SMC community
- examples of how you have displayed leadership and commitment to the community outside of SMC
- any other interesting facts or experiences you have had that you feel are relevant to your submission.
In the event the candidates cannot be decided upon through the application process an interview may be requested by the committee.