Proud to Learn Two Languages
Our French Immersion program start in Junior Kindergarten
French Immersion Programming
The Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board is pleased to provide a number of opportunities for students to learn in both of Canada’s official languages.
French Immersion Programming follows the guidelines established by the Ministry of Education. The Huron-Superior CDSB French Immersion Program intensity is 50% French instructional time beginning in our kindergarten program.
Students enrolled in a 50% French Immersion Program beginning in kindergarten will receive approximately 4200 hours of French instruction in elementary school and must complete 10 credits in secondary school.
It should be noted that upon graduation students who have completed a minimum of 10 French Immersion courses are eligible for the French Immersion Certificate of the Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board.
The Board’s goal is to provide the highest quality French language learning environment for students enrolled in this program. We welcome parents and students interested in the French Immersion Program to contact any of the schools hosting the French Immersion Program to get detailed information.
French Immersion Programs
French Immersion programming is proudly offered in:
Sault Ste. Marie – City East
St. Mary’s French Immersion
Sault Ste. Marie – City West
St. Francis French Immersion
Sault Ste. Marie – Secondary
St. Mary’s College
Our Lady of Lourdes French Immersion
Sacred Heart Dual Track French Immersion
St. Joseph French Immersion
A review on immersion programs from 1972 to 2001 concludes that the effect of learning a second language on first – language skills has been positive in all studies done. Furthermore, the loss of instructional time in English in favour of the second language has never been shown to have negative effects on the achievement of the first language.
French Immersion programs are designed to provide non‐francophone students with a high degree of proficiency in the French language. While any exposure to a second language is beneficial, French Immersion broadens and deepens that experience. In Immersion programs French is not only a subject, but a language of instruction and a means of communication.
The successful graduate of the French Immersion Program will be able to:
- Converse easily in French;
- Continue post‐secondary studies with French as the language of instruction;
- Be successful in gaining employment requiring French fluency;
- And develop strong French linguistic skills and cultural knowledge.
Learning a second language can:
- Increase your child’s knowledge in the areas of art, music, theatre and literature;
- Foster respect for other peoples and their traditions;
- Increase your child’s understanding of the history of Canada and the French Canadian culture;
- And give you child enhanced career opportunities.
You can help by:
- Establishing a good rapport with your child’s immersion teacher;
- Communicating regularly with your child’s immersion teacher;
- Becoming familiar with the curriculum;
- Encouraging your child to read for pleasure in French and English;
- Encouraging your child to talk about his/her experiences at school;
- Showing an interest in what your child is doing at school;
- Maintaining high expectations that your child can learn both languages successfully.