Dear Parents / Guardians:
Thank you once again for your cooperation and support during what has been a very turbulent beginning to 2021.
As was announced in the letter sent on Friday, December 18, 2020, our board’s second term for elementary students and third quadmester for secondary students begins on Monday, February 8, 2021. In the two letters sent home to you in early January, I explained that the Huron-Superior Catholic District School Board remains committed in the long term to providing distinctly inperson and distinctly virtual learning options for our students and families. This is why we are offering elementary students who have chosen in-person learning the opportunity to join their classmates virtually only on a short-term basis. This opportunity will end on Friday, February 5, 2021.
Since our February transition date is quickly approaching, I wanted to provide you with several options to consider.
Students Currently Enrolled in Virtual Learning
- If your child(ren) are currently enrolled in our elementary or secondary virtual academies and you wish to have them remain there until at least April 23, 2021, which is the approximate date of the next transition point, there is nothing more you need to do. Your virtual instruction will continue.
- If your child(ren) are currently enrolled in our elementary or secondary virtual academies and you wish to have them start learning in person on Monday, February 8 at a physical school, please communicate with your current school administrators by Monday, January 25, 2021 to ensure appropriate arrangements are made. Specifically, please contact:
Students Currently Enrolled in In-Person Learning
- If your child(ren) are currently enrolled in in-person learning at a local school and you wish to have them remain learning in person until at least April 23, 2021, there is nothing more you need to do. Your in-person instruction will continue. Please note that you will still have the ability to keep your child(ren) learning from home with their current classmates until Friday, February 5, 2021, if you so desire.
- If your child(ren) are currently enrolled in in-person learning at a local school and you wish to have them transition to one of our virtual academies, please make contact with your local principal or vice-principal by Monday, January 25, 2021 to ensure appropriate arrangements are made.
Other Important Information
- Health and Safety – Thank you for your continued cooperation and vigilance in ensuring everyone stays healthy and safe. Although no classrooms or schools in our board have been closed because of an outbreak of COVID-19, in the event of an outbreak, the board will follow public health advice. This guidance might require all students in a particular classroom or school to shift suddenly to remote learning for a period of time, for everyone’s health and safety. This shift will occur automatically and will not require an application to transition.
- Commitments and Wait Lists – We recognize that making a commitment to purely virtual or purely in-person learning for your child(ren) for the period between February 8 and April 22, 2021 may be challenging. In the event that you feel you are unable to make this decision by the January 25 deadline and you express a desire to transition after that date, we will add your name to a wait list and try our best to accommodate you. However, please bear in mind that the board will be making decisions about staffing and classroom organizations based upon the data we have collected by January 25, 2021. Thus, shifting students between in-person and virtual learning may not be possible. The more accurate information we have by the January 25 deadline, the better.
Thank you once more for your understanding of the unprecedented circumstances in which we continue to find ourselves. As always, should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact your child(ren)’s current school.
Rose Burton Spohn
Director of Education